This guide will cover the necessary steps of configuring the Shadowsocks manual connection with Surfshark on your Android device. Shadowsocks can help you connect to Surfshark servers in restricted network countries.
Here are the steps that we will go through:
- Get your Shadowsocks credentials
- Select your location
- Install Shadowsocks client
- Set up the connection
You will need an Android device and an active Surfshark subscription to follow along.
Get your Shadowsocks credentials
- Please visit surfshark.com and log in to your account. You can find the direct link here.
In case the link above doesn't work, try this page instead.
- Go to the VPN -> Manual setup -> Shadowsocks section. If you have not activated Shadowsocks, please do so by tapping on Activate Shadowsocks.
- Now copy the Port and the Password for the Shadowsocks client.
Select your location
- Tap on the Locations tab. You will see all Surfshark server locations on this page.
Under each flag, you will find the hostname of this server. Copy the hostname of your selected country because you will need it later.
Install Shadowsocks client
If you don't have access to the Google Play Store, download and install the .apk version of the Shadowsocks app. Tap here to download .apk directly.
If you have access to the Google Play Store, follow the steps below.
- First, open the Play Store application on your Android device.
- Search for "Shadowsocks" using the search feature in the Play Store. Tap on the first result which has a paper-plane icon.
- Tap on the Install button to install Shadowsocks.
- Once the application is installed, please tap on the Open button.
Set up the connection
- Once the Shadowsocks application opens, tap on the paper with a plus icon.
- Then tap on Manual settings.
- Afterward, paste the server domain into the Server field that you copied in the “Select your location” step. You also need to copy the Password and Port you found on the “Get your Shadowsocks credentials” step.
Also, make sure to select AES-256-GCM for Encrypt Method. Select All under Route to route all device traffic trough Shadowsocks. Save the profile by tapping the checkmark on the top-right corner.
- Select the created profile by tapping on it and tap on the paper airplane logo to enable Shadowsocks connection.
- A prompt will appear asking you to accept the connection request. Tap on Ok.
- Afterward, your device will be connected to Surfshark.
- To disconnect, simply tap on the paper-plane logo again.
Also, the Shadowsocks application icon should also appear after installing the application on your home screen. If Shadowsocks is running, you will see a paper-plane icon on the top bar.
Congratulations! You have successfully set up Shadowsocks connection to Surfshark servers! As long as you’re connected, your location is private, and your sensitive data is secure.
If you have any further questions, our customer success team will help you 24/7 over live chat or email.
You may also be interested in: