Besides keeping your email addresses and credit cards safe, Surfshark Alert offers a way to protect your national ID (i.e. SSN in the US). It works similarly to the credit card and email scanner by searching for your personal information in the databases of recent breaches. If your ID appears in one of those breaches, your identity might be at risk. Follow this tutorial to find out how to prevent that.
In this article you will learn:
How to scan your national ID
- Log into your account at surfshark.com
- Open the drop-down menu in the Alert section. Then proceed to the Scan IDs tab.
You must have 2FA activated for your account to use Alert. If you don't have it yet, here's how you can easily put it on.
- First, choose your country. Bulgaria and the US are available at the moment. New countries are coming soon.
- Enter your ID number and press Scan.
Note: Surfshark, by default, doesn't store your details. The data is wiped out immediately once the scan is complete. Unless you choose to keep this ID for continuous monitoring.
- If there are no breaches with your ID, that means your identity is safe.
If you close this page now, your ID and all related information will be immediately wiped out. However, if you click Add to dashboard, it will stay on Surfshark's system for continuous monitoring.
- To add new IDs (family member or another close person), click a plus sign at the top-left corner.
What to do if your ID is breached
- If your ID is potentially compromised, your identity is at risk.
You will see the date and origin of all breaches, also some additional details on what other information could have been leaked.
We highly recommend contacting your local authorities for further assistance. All countries have their ways to deal with situations like this. They will give the best advice.
If you're a US citizen, you may want to fill a form here.
- You can archive breaches once they're no longer relevant. Click on this button as in the picture below to send breaches to the archive.
- You can still find your old breaches in the archive if you need them later.
Congratulations - you have successfully set up Surfshark Alert to monitor your national ID!
If you have any further questions, our customer success team will help you 24/7 over a live chat or email.
You may also be interested in: