This guide will cover the necessary steps of configuring the Shadowsocks manual connection with Surfshark on your macOS device. Shadowsocks can help you connect to Surfshark servers in restricted network countries.
Here are the steps that we will go through:
You will need a macOS device and an active Surfshark subscription to follow along.
Get your Shadowsocks credentials
- Please visit the surfshark.com and log in to your account. You can find the direct link here.
In case this link doesn't work, please try this page instead.
- Go to the VPN -> Manual setup -> Shadowsocks section. If you have not activated Shadowsocks, please do so by clicking on Activate Shadowsocks.
- Now copy the Port and the Password for the Shadowsocks client.
Select your location
- Click on the Locations tab. You will see all Surfshark server locations on this page.
- Copy the location you wish to connect to by clicking on it.
- Open Terminal application on your macOS device. Once it opens, text ping [insert the selected server domain] and Terminal should display the IP address. Copy the IP address you see for later.
Install Shadowsocks client
- Visit this page to download Shadowsocks client for macOS. Click on the marked link to download Shadowsocks .zip file.
If you can not open this website, click here instead to download the installation folder for Shadowsocks app.
- Extract the .zip file and you should see a file called ShadowsocksX-NG. Double-click on it. Proceed with the installation.
Set up the connection
- Now the Shadowsocks client icon should appear in the toolbar above after a successful installation. Click on the icon to open Shadowsocks client. On this client, go to Servers -> Server Preferences…
Click a Plus(+) sign to add a new server.
- Now fill New Server fields with password, port and location IP address from previous steps like the screenshot below.
The Port field is on the right of the address field. Also, make sure that the Encryption is aes-256-gcm.
Once you filled the fields, press OK.
- Click on the Shadowsocks logo at the toolbar, click on Global Mode and then Turn Shadowsocks On.
Congratulations! You have successfully set up Shadowsocks connection to Surfshark servers! As long as you’re connected, your location is private, and your sensitive data is secure.
If you have any further questions, our customer success team will help you 24/7 over live chat or email.
You may also be interested in: