This guide will cover the necessary steps of configuring the Shadowsocks manual connection with Surfshark on your Windows desktop device. Shadowsocks can help you connect to Surfshark servers in restricted network countries.
Here are the steps that we will go through:
- Get your Shadowsocks credentials
- Select your location
- Install Shadowsocks client
- Set up the connection
- Make sure your connection was successful
You will need a Windows device and an active Surfshark subscription to follow along.
Get your Shadowsocks credentials
- Please visit the Surfshark website and log in to your account. You can find the direct link here.
In case this link doesn't work, please try this page instead.
- Go to VPN -> Manual setup -> Shadowsocks. If you have not activated Shadowsocks, please do so by clicking on Activate Shadowsocks.
- Now copy the Port and the Password for the Shadowsocks client.
Select your location
- Click on the Locations tab. You will see the list of all Surfshark server locations on this page.
Under each flag, you will find the hostname of this server. Copy the hostname of your selected country because you will need it later.
- Open the Command Prompt application on your Windows device by using the search feature to look for “cmd”.
- Once it appears in the results, open it. A black window should appear, which looks similar to this one.
- Enter this command:
ping [insert the selected server domain you copied]
You can refer to the picture above where this command is highlighted in red, and press Enter.
- A response to the ping command will appear. Copy the IP address for your location. In this example, the IP address you are looking for is highlighted in red.
Install Shadowsocks client
- Visit this page and download the latest Windows Shadowsocks client.
If you are not able to download the file from the previous link, please click here.
- After downloading the .zip file, please open it and extract the Shadowsocks.exe file, preferably on your desktop.
- Double-click on the Shadowsocks file to open it.
Set up the connection
- After running Shadowsocks, you will see a window like this.
- Now paste the port and password into the Shadowsocks client on Windows you copied during the “Get your Shadowsocks credentials” step. Also, paste the IP address you copied during the “Select your location” step. Make sure that Encryption is aes-256-gcm. Afterward, click Apply and OK.
- Now to enable Shadowsocks. Please find it in your system tray, which looks like a paper plane.
- Right-click on the Shadowsocks icon in the system tray. Select System Proxy and click on Global mode.
To disable Shadowsocks, right-click on the Shadowsocks system tray icon again and select System Proxy and then click on Disable.
Make sure your connection was successful
It's always recommended to check whether your connection was successful after setting up a VPN for the first time. This can be easily done by doing an IP leak test and a DNS leak test which is available on our website. Click here to find out how to make sure your connection was successful.
Congratulations! You have successfully set up the Shadowsocks connection to Surfshark servers! As long as you’re connected, your location is private, and your sensitive data is secure.
If you have any further questions, our customer success team will help you 24/7 over live chat or email.
You may also be interested in: