In this article, you will learn about the most common issue of why sometimes you cannot send or receive emails while connected to Surfshark.
This issue can occur on various mail providers. However, the issue mostly happens on Outlook and Thunderbird specifically. You may not be able to send emails because our servers block the outgoing SMTP port 25 to discourage clients from using Surfshark for spamming purposes, but no need to worry! You can change the outgoing port to 465 or 587 and switch between SSL and TLS encryption by following the steps below.
Choose your mail application:
Open the Outlook application on your device.
On the Tools menu, click on Account Settings.
Select your email account from the list and click Change.
Select the E-mail Settings window, and click More Settings.
- Next, click the Outgoing Server tab and check the My outgoing server (SMTP) requires authentication.
- Click on the Advanced tab and change the Outgoing server (SMTP) port. Try using SSL encryption combined with the 465 port or the TLS encryption combined with the 587 port.
- Open the Thunderbird client on your device.
- Select Account Settings from the Tools menu.
- Click on Outgoing Server (SMTP).
- Click Add, and a new window will pop up.
- Change the port number to 465 or 587, and in the Connection Security line, select SSL.
Congratulations! Now you know why you are unable to send emails and how to troubleshoot the issue.
If you have any further questions, our customer success team will help you 24/7 over live chat or email.
You may also be interested in: