In this tutorial, you will learn how to manually connect to VPN servers on your Android device. This feature can be very beneficial if you are connected to a restricted network (hotels, airports, schools, etc.) or having some connectivity issues if using the regular connection method.
To use a Manual VPN connection, you will need an Android device running Android 5.0+ and the Surfshark app version 2.6.2 or later.
- Begin the setup by Launching the Surfshark app.
- If you already have the subscription of Surfshark VPN, log in as an Existing User.
If you don't have the subscription yet, feel free to sign up for a free trial by clicking Create account.
- Choose Manual connection.
- To set a manual connection, you will need to get the hostname or IP address of your preferred Surfshark VPN server, also Surfshark service credentials.
You will find those details on the Surfshark website or just click the Get credentials button in your Surfshark app and you will be sent to the required page on the website. You may be asked to log before reaching the page.
Under each location, you will see the hostname of that server. You will need to enter this hostname in order to connect to this server, so copy it.
Tap on the Credentials tab and you will find Surfshark service credentials that you will need for manual connection.
- Enter all the required details:
Username: Surfshark service username (from step 3)
Password: Surfshark service password (from step 3)
Hostname / IP: Hostname or the IP address of the server you want to connect to (from step 3)
Protocol: You can leave the default protocol (IKEv2) or choose your preferred one (OpenVPN UDP or OpenVPN TCP)
For IKEv2 use port 4500
For OpenVPN (UDP) use port 3433
For Open (TCP) use the port 8443
- In the following window, you will see the status of the connection and your new IP address.
Success, you have connected to the Surfshark server!
Follow this article to make sure the connection was established successfully.
If you have any troubles setting up the app or connecting to a server, feel free to contact our Customer Success Sharks via live chat on our website or by email.