In this tutorial, you will learn how to install the Surfshark VPN app on your iPhone or iPad.
You will learn how to:
- Install your Surfshark app
- Log into the Surfshark app
- Connect to a VPN
- Choose and manage locations
- Manage Surfshark features
Manage Surfshark settings
To follow the instructions in this tutorial, you will need to have an iOS device running iOS 13 or later and an active Surfshark VPN subscription. If you don’t have a subscription yet, you can purchase it on our pricing page.
Install your Surfshark app
- To begin with, locate the App Store app on your device and open it.
Search for Surfshark.
Click GET. The app installation will start.
You may be asked to confirm the installation with Face ID or your Apple ID password.
Log into the Surfshark app
- Once the installation is complete, close the App Store and locate the Surfshark app on your device. Tap the Surfshark icon and the app will open.
- If you already have an active subscription of Surfshark VPN, log in as an Existing User.
If you don't have the subscription yet, feel free to sign up by clicking Create Account.
Enter your registered email and password and click Log In.
Connect to a VPN
Once you log in, you will land on the Homepage of your Surfshark app.
To secure your connection, you need to connect to one of Surfshark servers across the globe. You can simply click the Connect button and the app will connect you to the fastest server available.
Also, you may choose your default location to be the fastest server or the nearest country.
In order to do that, tap this button (see the picture below).
Choose between the Fastest server or the Nearest country.
- When making a VPN connection the first time, Surfshark will need to add VPN configurations to your device. That is necessary for Surfshark to be able to create and manage VPN tunnel.
Click Allow in this pop-up.
- The connection status will appear on the homepage of your Surfshark app.
If it's green and says Connected, your internet connection is secured from now on!
- Click the arrow located on the connection status bar to find more information about your VPN connection.
Here you will see your new IP address, a switch to turn on the KillSwitch feature, and the amount of data that has been transferred via VPN.
Choose and manage locations
So you'd like to connect to a specific location? No worries, Surfshark has over 3200 servers in 65+ countries and you can connect to your chosen one.
- To manually choose a server, go to the Locations tab and you will find the full list of Surfshark locations. Simply click on the flag icon of your preferred location and you will instantly connect to it.
- You now probably wonder what this bubble shows. It indicates how loaded the Surfshark servers are in a specific location.
The first bubble in this picture indicates that Surfshark servers in Germany are heavily loaded at the moment. The second bubble shows that servers in Japan have almost no load at all.
- You may have noticed Static IP and MultiHop tabs at the top of your Surfshark app.
Here’s what it does:
Static IP - you will get the same IP address each time you connect
MultiHop - you will connect via two different VPN servers in different countries and add an extra layer of security.
Manage Surfshark features
Open the Features tab in your Surfshark app. You will find 3 features there.
CleanWeb - is a smart feature that will block ads and malicious sites on the web. Learn more about it here.
Alert - Get real-time alerts when your emails & passwords are at risk of being hacked. Learn how to use it here.
Search - A browsing tool that will allow you to perform web search queries in complete privacy with no ads, no logs, and no trackers. Learn how to use it here.
Manage Surfshark settings
You can fine-tune your Surfshark app to your personal preferences.
- Open the Settings tab.
This is what you will find there:
A current version of Surfshark app
KillSwitch - a security-focused setting that will reconnect you and maintain the VPN connection in case of any disruptions.
Auto-connect - stay connected to a VPN at all times, hassle-free.
Protocol - it determines the way that your data is transferred via a VPN tunnel. Learn more about how does it work and why you may want to switch protocols.
NoBorders mode - it allows people to successfully use Surfshark in restrictive regions.
- Switch to the Account tab.
You will find all information about your subscription.
The last one - Help tab.
Use this tab to instantly contact us, manage your previous conversations with Surfshark support agents, and provide diagnostics from your Surfshark app if something is not working as supposed to.
Success - you have successfully installed and configured your Surfshark VPN app! Enjoy everything good that the internet has to offer, worry-free.
You may also be interested in: