NOTE: keep in mind that the video above reflects an older version of Surfshark and will be updated in the near future.
In this tutorial, you will learn how to install the Surfshark VPN Windows app on your device.
If you are using Windows 7 or 8, you will need to download the Windows Legacy version Surfshark app from this guide.
You will need a Windows device running Windows 7 or later and an active Surfshark subscription, which you can purchase on our pricing page.
You will learn how to:
- Download the app
- Install the app
- Log into the app
- Connect to the VPN
- Choose and manage server locations
- Manage Surfshark features
- Manage Surfshark settings
- Use the Surfshark Tray menu
Make sure your connection was successful
Download the app
- To begin with, download the Surfshark VPN app for Windows. Clicking Download the Windows App button will start the download.
- Once the download is complete, locate the installation file on your device. It’s most likely that you will find it in the Downloads folder of your device.
Install the app
- Double-click this file.
- The computer will ask if ‘you want to allow this app to make changes to your device?’. Click Yes.
- Wait until the automatic installation is finished.
- When the installation is complete, wait a few seconds, and the app will start automatically.
Log into the app
- Once the app is open, you will need to either create a new account or log in.
If you already have an active subscription, log in as an Existing user.
If you don’t have a subscription yet, you can get it by clicking the Create account button.
- Press Log in, and enter the email address you used when registering and your password. Click Log in again.
- If you've enabled two-factor authentication for your account, you will need to enter a 2FA code.
Enter your authentication code and press Verify.
Connect to the VPN
Once you are logged in, you will be greeted with the main dashboard of the Surfshark app.
Right away, you can click on Quick-connect to connect to the fastest location, which is normally the geographically closest one to your country of residence.
You can also see the recently used servers, along with all the locations available for you to connect to. Once you are connected, you can also disconnect or pause the connection.
You can change your preferred connection location by pressing the Change button.
Or by going to Settings > VPN Settings > Quick-connect. Once you click on it, you'll be presented with a list of locations to choose from, along with the nearest and fastest ones.
Once you make your choice, it will be reflected like so:
Choose and manage server locations
Surfshark has over 3200 servers in 65+ countries. Simply find the server you wish to connect to, click on it, and you are done.
To favorite a location, simply click on the star icon next to the location. Once you do so, the location will appear at the top of the list in the Favorites section.
You may have noticed Static IP, Dedicated IP, and MultiHop tabs at the top of your Surfshark app.
Here’s what they do:
Static IP - connecting to these servers will give you the same IP address each time you connect.
MultiHop - this allows you to connect through two different VPN servers for an extra layer of security. You can also create MultiHop locations of your own.
Dedicated IP - you can access your own personal use dedicated IP address that you have to purchase separately.
Also, running a speed and latency test will help you choose the best server to connect to. The Sufshark app has an inbuilt speed & latency test, which you can find at Settings -> VPN settings -> Speed test.
Choose your preferred list of servers to test. You can choose to test your recommended, favorite, recently used, and other locations. Once you select the list, click Run test at the bottom right of the window.
A few seconds later, test results will show up. Locations with higher Down/Up speeds and low latency will provide you with the best VPN performance.
Manage Surfshark features
On the left side of the app, above the Settings icon, you'll be able to find 4 of Surfshark's additional features. In order to use them, you'll have to have an active Surfshark ONE subscription.
Alert - get real-time alerts when your emails & passwords are at risk of being hacked. Learn how to use it here.
Search - a browsing tool that will allow you to browse the web in complete privacy with no ads, no logs, and no trackers. Learn how to use it here.
Antivirus - a simple, light on your system and easy to use Antivirus. You can read more about it here.
Alternative ID - generates a brand-new online identity & an email for you to use. This way, you can make sure that your real identity stays unharmed. Learn how to use it here.
Manage Surfshark settings
Your Surfshark app is customizable, and you can fine-tune it to fit your personal preferences.
Open the Settings tab and select App Settings.
Here you can:
- Enable dark mode
- Change the app language
See the current app version
Configure the Notifications settings and whether to send crash reports or not
In VPN Settings, you'll be able to make some more advanced changes.
Here you can:
- Enable Auto-connect
- Enable Launch app on startup
- Enable CleanWeb - a smart feature that will block ads and malicious sites on the web. Learn more about it here;
- Enable KillSwitch, which helps you stay protected at the event of unexpected VPN disconnections;
- Change the connection protocol;
- Enable or disable the NoBorders feature, which helps you connect in network-restrictive environments;
- Enable the Invisible on LAN feature, which makes your device undetectable by other devices on the same network;
- Enable the Rotating IP feature, which changes your IP automatically while your VPN location stays the same;
- Access the Bypasser feature, which lets you customize which apps or websites are not affected by the VPN. You can read more about it here;
Surfshark tray menu
Let’s not forget the tray menu of your Surfshark app. Even if you close the main window of your app, the minimized version of it will stay active in the System tray. It will remind you if the VPN is connected or not.
Green Surfshark icon - connected
Gray Surfshark icon - disconnected
You will find it in the system tray of your Windows. You can drag it from the system tray to the taskbar so that it stays visible at all times.
Also, it will allow you to instantly switch to a different location or manage other important settings like auto-connect or Kill-Switch.
Feel free to read more about the capabilities of this tiny feature and how to get the most out of it.
Make sure your connection was successful
It's always recommended to check whether your connection was successful after setting up a VPN for the first time. This can be easily done by doing an IP leak test and a DNS leak test, which is available on our website. Click here to find out how to make sure your connection was successful.
Congratulations - you have successfully installed and configured your Surfshark VPN app! As long as you’re connected, your location is private, and your sensitive data is secure.
You may also be interested in:
- How to make sure if my connection was successful?
- How to enable 2FA on your Surfshark account?
- How to set up a VPN-protected Wi-Fi hotspot using Windows?