Whitelister™ is an innovative tool that allows you to control your connectivity by choosing what applications or websites to route via VPN and vice versa.
Whitelister™ has two options:
- Bypass VPN blocks selected applications and websites from using the VPN connection.
- Route via VPN is an alternative, allowing only the chosen applications and websites to use the VPN connection.
This tutorial will cover how to use Whitelister's Bypass VPN and Route via VPN options.
Here are the steps that we will go through:
You will need a Windows device and a Surfshark subscription to follow along. If you do not have an active subscription, you can purchase one here.
- Open the Surfshark application. On the left-hand side panel, click Features.
- In the Features tab, click on Whitelister.
- Enable the preferred Whitelister option by clicking the switch bar on the right side. In this example, it's Bypass VPN.
- Once you enable Bypass VPN, click on Select apps to start adding applications that will bypass the VPN coverage.
- A list of all applications visible on your device will appear. To add the application to Bypass VPN, leave a checkmark in the square on the application's right.
If you can't find the application on this list, click Add apps and locate an executable file for the application you wish to add.
- Now reconnect to any location on Surfshark, and the applications on the Bypass VPN list will bypass the VPN coverage.
In case you wish to route specific applications only via VPN, select Route via VPN and enable it instead of Bypass VPN.
Select websites or IP addresses
- If you wish to bypass certain websites instead of apps, enable Bypass VPN below the Websites / IP addresses tab instead.
- Click on Select websites or IP addresses to start adding websites or IP addresses.
- Click Add websites or IP addresses.
- A window will appear with a field where you can input either a website or an IP address. Once you do, click Add.
- Now reconnect to any location on Surfshark, and the websites or IP addresses on the Bypass VPN list will bypass the VPN coverage.
Congratulations - you have successfully set up Whitelister on Surfshark!
If you have any further questions, our customer success team will help you 24/7 over live chat or email.
You may also be interested in: