In this tutorial, you will learn how to install the Surfshark VPN app on your Android TV or Android box. This app will protect your data, help to bypass censorship, and enjoy streaming content on your device.
You will need an Android TV or Android box running Android 5.0 or later and an active Surfshark subscription to follow along. If you don’t have the subscription yet, you can get it here.
You will learn how to:
- Install the app
- Log into the app
- Connect to a VPN
- Choose and manage server locations
- Manage Surfshark features
- Manage Surfshark settings
Install the app
- Open Play Store on your Android TV and search for Surfshark.
- Press Download or Install.
Log into your Surfshark app
- Once the installation is complete, you can either click Open or find the Surfshark icon in the installed apps menu and press on it.
- If you already have an active Surfshark VPN subscription, log in as an existing user.
If you don't have the subscription yet, feel free to sign up for a 7-day free trial by clicking Create Account.
- Enter the email address you used when registering and your password. Click Log in.
Alternatively, you can log in using the Surfshark app on your mobile device. To do that, open your Surfshark app on a mobile device, go to Settings -> Account -> TV login, and scan the QR code on your Android TV screen.
Connect to a VPN
Once you log in, you will see the homepage of the Surfshark app. Here you can see the VPN connection status, the list of locations, and a button to connect.
- Tap the Connect button, and the app will instantly connect to the fastest server available.
When connecting to a VPN server for the first time, accept the connection request in the pop-up window. This will allow the Surfshark app to start and manage the VPN tunnel.
- You can choose the default connection to be the Faster server or the Nearest country.
Click this button, as in the screenshot below, to set your preferred default location.
Choose the Fastest server or the Nearest country.
- As soon as you connect, you will see the connection status on the homepage of your app.
If it's green and says Connected, your internet connection is secured from now on!
Choose and manage locations
So you need to connect to a specific location? No worries, Surfshark has over 3200 servers in 65+ countries, and you can connect to your chosen one.
- You will find the list of locations on the left side of your screen. Use the search bar or scroll down until you find a specific country. Click on the flag icon of your preferred location, and you will instantly connect to it.
- If you want Surfshark to remember your favorite locations, press the star on the right side. This server will now appear on the list of your Favorite servers.
- The bubble icon next to the star indicates how loaded the Surfshark servers are in a specific location. In other words - how many people are connected to servers in that location.
The first bubble in this picture indicates that Surfshark servers in Germany are under a heavy load. The second bubble shows that only a few people are connected to Surfshark servers in Japan.
- You may have noticed Static IP and MultiHop tabs at the top of your Surfshark app.
Here’s what they do:
Static IP - you will get the same IP address each time you connect
MultiHop - you will connect via two different VPN servers in different countries and add an extra protection layer.
Manage Surfshark features
Open the Features tab. You will see two features there.
CleanWeb - is a smart feature that will block ads and malicious sites on the web. Learn more about it here.
Whitelister - allows you to choose which apps or websites to exclude from the VPN connection. Learn how to use it here.
Manage Surfshark settings
You can customize your Surfshark app to suit your personal preferences. Go to the Settings tab, and you will find the necessary settings that will help you fine-tune the app or fix connectivity issues.
Your account details
Language - choose the one that works best for you
The current version of your Surfshark app
Auto-connect - stay connected to a VPN at all times, hassle-free
KillSwitch - a security-focused setting that will disconnect you from the internet if the VPN unexpectedly drops
Use small packets - if you experience slow speed when connected to a VPN, you may want to turn on this setting
Protocol - it determines the way that your data is transferred via a VPN tunnel. Learn more about how it works and why you may want to switch protocols
Analytics - decide if you wish to provide our developers with anonymous data about the technical performance of your Surfshark app
Diagnostics - feel free to provide us diagnostics with a short description of your issue if you experience any kind of trouble with Surfshark VPN.
Congratulations - you have successfully installed and configured your Surfshark VPN app! Enjoy everything good that the internet has to offer, worry-free.
If you have any further questions, our customer success team is here to help you 24/7 over live chat or email.
You may also be interested in: