In this tutorial, you will learn how to install the Surfshark VPN app on your Fire TV Stick or Fire TV. This app is the only thing you will ever need to protect your data, bypass censorship, enjoy streaming content on your Fire TV device.
To follow instructions in this tutorial, you will need to have a 2nd generation Fire TV device or later and an active Surfshark VPN subscription. If you don’t have the subscription yet, you can get it here.
You will learn how to:
- Install the app
- Log into the app
- Connect to the VPN
- Choose and manage locations
- Manage Surfshark features
- Manage Surfshark settings
Install the app
- Click on the homepage of your Fire TV and navigate to the search bar.
- Search for "Surfshark".
- Click on the Surfshark app icon in the search results
- Click on the Get button to start downloading the application onto your Firestick device. As soon as the download is complete, the app will be automatically installed.
Log into the app
- As soon as the download is complete, the app will be automatically installed. Once the installation is complete, you can either click "Open" or press the Burger menu symbol on your remote to launch the application.
- If you already have an active subscription of Surfshark VPN, Log in as an Existing User.
If you don't have the subscription yet, feel free to sign up for a 7-day free trial by clicking Create Account.
- Enter the email address you used when registering and your password. Click Log in.
Alternatively, you can log in using the Surfshark app on your mobile device. You can do that if you open your Surfshark app on a mobile device, go to Settings -> Account -> TV login, and scan the QR code on your Firestick screen.
Connect to the VPN
Once you log in, you will appear on the Homepage of the Surfhsark app. Here you can see the VPN connection status, the list of locations, and a button to connect to the VPN.
- Tap the Connect button and the app will instantly connect to the fastest server available.
When connecting to a VPN server for the first time, accept the connection request in the pop-up window. This will allow the Surfshark app to manage the VPN tunnel.
- You can choose the default connection to be the Faster server or the Nearest country.
Click this button as in the screenshot below, in order to set your preferred default location.
Choose the Fastest server or the Nearest country.
- As soon as you connect, you should see the connection status on the homepage of your app.
If it's green and says Connected, your internet connection is secured from now on!
Choose and manage locations
- Do you wish to connect to a specific location? No worries, Surfshark has over 1700 servers in 63+ countries and you can connect to your chosen one.
You will find the list of locations on the left side of your screen. Use the search bar or scroll down until you find a specific country. Simply click on the flag icon of your preferred location and you will instantly connect to it.
- If you want Surfshark to remember your favorite locations, press the star on the right side. Now this server will appear in the list of your Favorite servers.
- The bubble icon next to the star indicates how loaded the Surfshark servers are in a specific location, in other words - how many people are connected to servers in that location.
The first bubble in this picture indicates that Surfshark servers in Germany at the moment are under a heavy load. The second bubble shows that a few people are connected to Surfshark servers in Japan.
- You may have noticed Static IP and MultiHop tabs at the top of your Surfshark app.
Here’s what they do:
Static IP - you will get the same IP address each time you connect
MultiHop - you will connect via two different VPN servers in different countries and add an extra layer of security
Manage Surfshark features
Open the Features tab. You will see 2 features there.
CleanWeb - a smart feature that will block ads and malicious sites on the web. Learn more about it here.
Whitelister - it allows you to choose which apps or websites to exclude from the VPN connection. Learn how to use it here.
Manage Surfshark settings
You can customize your Surfshark app to suit your personal preferences. Go to the Settings tab and you will find necessary settings that will help you fine-tune the app or fix connectivity issues.
Your account details
Language - choose the one that works best for you
Current version of your Surfshark app
Auto-connect - stay connected to a VPN at all times, hassle-free
KillSwitch - a security-focused setting that will disconnect you from the internet if VPN unexpectedly drops
Use small packets - if you experience slow speed when connected to a VPN, you may want to turn on this setting
Protocol - it determines the way that your data is transferred via a VPN tunnel. Learn more about how does it work and why you may want to switch protocols
Analytics - decide if you wish to provide our developers with anonymous data about the technical performance of your Surfshark app
Diagnostics - feel free to provide us diagnostics with a short description of your issue if you experience any kind of trouble with Surfshark VPN.
Congratulations - you have successfully installed and configured your Surfshark VPN app! Enjoy everything good that the internet has to offer, worry-free.
If you have any further questions, our customer success team is here to help you 24/7 over a live chat or email.
You may also be interested in:
- How to watch Netflix with Surfshark?
- Common terms used in the VPN world
- Android slow speed troubleshooting