You can set up an OpenVPN connection on your Windows device by using OpenVPN GUI to connect in countries with internet restrictions.
It is a free open-source program that helps you connect to Surfshark servers using OpenVPN protocol. This application is supported by Windows XP and above.
This guide will help you establish a secure OpenVPN connection to Surfshark’s servers.
- To begin with, you have to download the OpenVPN GUI application. If you are using Windows 7 or above you can download it here.
If you are using Windows VISTA or older, you would have to use this version instead.
- Once the download is complete, install the OpenVPN GUI by following the setup wizard.
- Afterward, download our OpenVPN configuration files which you can get from the links below:
- Now double click the OpenVPN icon on your desktop to run it. The application will launch minimized and you will be able to locate it in the system tray located in the bottom right corner of your screen.
- Right-click the OpenVPN GUI icon in the system tray, press Import file and select one of the downloaded servers.
- After that, right-click the OpenVPN GUI icon in the system tray once again, hover your mouse on one of the servers and click connect.
- A prompt will come up asking you to enter your username and password, use the service credentials provided at the bottom of the page here.
Note: service credentials are different from the ones you regularly use to log in to Surfshark account page or Surfshark applications. If you are getting an Auth_Failed error, most likely you are not using the correct pair of credentials!
- In a few seconds, the connection window will disappear and the OpenVPN GUI icon in the system tray will turn green.
That’s it! Happy surfing!
If you encounter any difficulties with the setup, don't hesitate to contact our Customer Success Sharks!