Here you can find the instructions necessary to set up your Asus router with Surfshark by using OpenVPN protocol.
This guide was made using Asus RT-AC51U running firmware version 188.8.131.52.380_7378.
1. You have to connect to the Control panel of your Asus router. This can be done by entering your Default Gateway in the address bar of your browser. In most cases, by default, it is 192.168.1.1.
2. You will be prompted to log in to the Control panel of your router, and the opened window will ask for your username and password. If you have never configured your router before, the credentials should be admin/admin or admin without a password. You can also check the back of your router for the default credentials.
3. When logged in to the Control panel, you should see the VPN tab in the left sidebar.
4. Select VPN Client in the opened VPN tab.
5. On the bottom of the window, you should see the Add profile button, click it to continue.
6. Select OpenVPN tab and enter the following:
Description: you can name this connection however you like;
Username: your Surfshark username service credentials from this website at the bottom of the page;
Password: your Surfshark account service password from this website at the bottom of the page;
7. Now you will have to add a configuration file of the server that you want to connect to. To get the configuration files, please navigate to the following link: https://account.surfshark.com/setup/manual. Then, click Choose File, and you will be prompted to select the configuration file that you want to use.
8. Select the directory that you have downloaded the configuration files to and then click Open.
9. After selecting the configuration file, click Upload and you should see a message stating Complete if it was successful.
10. Now, click the OK button. Import the CA file or edit the .ovpn file manually option should be left unticked.
11. Finally, you should see a new connection set up. Click on the Activate button to connect your router to a Surfshark server. Please note that only one OpenVPN connection can be created. If you would like to have another connection configured you must remove or edit the existing one.
12. After a successful connection is made a blue checkmark should appear in the Connection Status column.
13. To check if you are connected successfully, please take a look at this article.
If something is not going according to the guide, feel free to contact our Customer Success Sharks and they will help you out!