VPN Fusion is a new feature on Asus routers available on some models by updating the router's firmware. In this article, you will learn how to set up an OpenVPN connection on VPN Fusion.
In this guide you will learn how to:
- Find your login details
- Choose a Surfshark server
- Configure the OpenVPN client
- Make sure that the connection is successful
In order to proceed, you will need an active Surfshark subscription. You can see the available plans on our pricing page.
Find your login details
Enter the my.surfshark.com page and generate your credentials for OpenVPN by following these steps: click on VPN > Manual Setup > Router > OpenVPN.
You may need to log in when you do enter this page. In that case, simply enter your email and password and press "Log in".
Once there, make sure that you are in the Credentials tab and click on Generate credentials. It is a good idea to keep this tab open for now, as we'll need it later.
Choose a Surfshark server
Go to the Locations tab(which is on the same page) and locate the server that you wish to connect to.
- Click on the download icon to the right of the server name and click on Download UDP.
Configure the OpenVPN client
- Next up, log into your Asus router's web interface. You can access it by entering your router's default gateway IP address into your browser's URL bar. By default, it normally is 192.168.8.1.
Another option would be to simply enter this address: http://router.asus.com/
Once there you'll have to log in. By default, the username and password both are 'admin'.
On your router's web panel interface's left side, look for the VPN option and click on it. Once there, select the VPN Fusion tab.
Once there, configure a new connection by pressing on Add profile.
- Next up, select the VPN Type to OpenVPN and proceed to fill in the details like so:
Connection name: You can type in a name that you desire. (For example, SurfsharkVPN)
VPN Type: OpenVPN
For the username and password, you must use your credentials generated at the find your login details section.
And last but not least, make sure to import the server configuration file by clicking on Import .ovpn file from the choose a Surfshark server section.
- Now you need to configure which devices get affected by the freshly configured VPN tunnel. To do so, click on the edit pen in the Device section.
Once you click on it, a list of devices connected to your router will appear. Tick the box next to the devices that you wish to be affected by the VPN connection.
- Last but not least, make sure to press Apply and Enable.
Once you do so, the configuration will be complete. Make sure to enable the connection by toggling the slider next to it.
Make sure the connection is successful
And that is it - you’ve learned how to set up an OpenVPN connection on your Asus router. It's always recommended to check whether your connection was successful after setting up a VPN for the first time. This can be easily done by doing an IP leak test and a DNS leak test which is available on our website.
You may also be interested in: