Sometimes Anti-virus software might be interfering with VPN background processes and block the connection.
In such situations, the best solution is to make an exception for VPN software - that will prevent it from being scanned and interrupted by anti-virus.
Most decent anti-virus apps have this option. McAfee has it as well.
Here is how you can make an exception for the whole Surfshark folder in McAfee settings.
- Open the McAfee app and click the settings cog.
- Go to the Real-Time Scanning.
- Choose to Exclude Files.
- Click Add file.
- Navigate to This PC -> WIndows(C:) -> Program Files (x86) -> Surfshark
Now you're at the Surfshark folder where all Surfshark system files are stored. One by one make exclusions for 3 files: Surfshark, Surfshark.Service and SurfsharkDiagnostics.
Start with Surfshark.Diagnostics. Click on this file, then click Open.
- You will see that SurfsharkDiagnostics.exe file was added to the exclusions list.
Now click Add file again.
- Add Surfshark and Surfshark.Service files by repeating this process.
- Now you will see that all chosen files were added to the list of Exclusions.
You can close the McAfee app.
- Reboot your computer to make sure that changes were successfully applied.
If something is not going according to the guide, feel free to contact our Customer Success Sharks and they will help you out!