In this tutorial, you will learn how to configure the Surfshark VPN tunnel on your Sabai router. This method might be beneficial if you have devices that don't have VPN compatibility or you want to protect all the Wi-Fi-connected devices at your home in one go.
You will learn how to:
To proceed, you will need a router with Sabai firmware and an active Surfshark subscription.
If you don’t have the subscription yet, you can get one here.
Find your login details
Surfshark service credentials are different from your Surfshark account credentials, namely your email address and your password. You’ll need the Surfshark service credentials to connect to the VPN using the manual OpenVPN configuration method explained below.
Here is how you can get your Surfshark service credentials:
- Go to this page, where you will find all the details required for a manual connection.
You may need to log in before proceeding to this page. In that case, enter your email address and your password, then click Log in.
- Click on the Credentials tab at the top. You will find the Surfshark service credentials.
It is a good idea to keep this page open for now. You will need these credentials a bit later.
Choose a Surfshark server
Every server (location) has a configuration file that you need to connect to the VPN. You can download all of the configuration files from our website.
- Go to this page. It’s the same page where the Surfshark service credentials are stored.
- Select the Files tab. You will see all of the Surfshark servers.
- You will need an OpenVPN configuration file for the location of your choice. For example, if you wish to connect to Germany, download the Germany - Berlin or Germany - Nuernberg servers by clicking on the location and then on UDP to download the configuration file.
Configure the OpenVPN client
- Open your Sabai router by entering its IP address in the URL bar of your browser.
- Navigate to Network -> OpenVPN. Here you will find the OpenVPN client.
- Click Choose File.
- Navigate to the configuration file from the Choose a Surfshark server step. Click on it, then click Open.
- You will see the name of your configuration file.
- Click Show file.
- Now click Edit.
- Enter the Surfshark service credentials from the Find your login details step, and click Done.
- Click Save to store your credentials.
- Now click Start. This will enable the VPN connection. You will see the status and your new IP address at the top-right corner of your router interface.
Congratulations - you have successfully installed and configured Surfshark VPN on your Sabai router! As long as you’re connected, your location is private, and your sensitive data is secure.
If you have any further questions, our customer success team is here to help you 24/7 over live chat or email.
You may also be interested in: