This article will show you how to set up your Netduma R1 router with the OpenVPN protocol.
You will learn how to:
To proceed, you will need a Netduma R1 router and an active Surfshark subscription, which you can purchase on our pricing page.
Find your login details
Surfshark service credentials are different from your Surfshark account credentials, namely your email address and your password. You’ll need Surfshark service credentials to connect to the VPN using the manual OpenVPN configuration method explained below.
Here is how you can get your Surfshark service credentials:
- Go to this page, where you will find all of the details required for a manual connection.
You may need to log in before proceeding to this page. In that case, enter your email address and your password, then click Log in.
Click on the Credentials tab at the top. You will find the Surfshark service credentials here.
It's a good idea to keep this page open for now. You will need these credentials a bit later.
Choose a Surfshark server
Every server (location) has a configuration file that you will need to connect to the VPN. You can download all of the configuration files from our website.
- Go to this page. It’s the same page where the Surfshark service credentials are stored.
- Select the Locations tab, where you will see all of the Surfshark servers.
You will need an OpenVPN configuration file for the location of your choice. For example, if you wish to connect to Germany, download Germany - Berlin or Germany - Nuernberg server by clicking on the location and then on UDP to download the configuration file.
Configure the OpenVPN client
- Log in to your Netduma R1 router by entering your router IP address into the URL bar on your browser.
- Go to the VPN tab. You will see all devices connected to this router; choose which ones you wish to route via a VPN tunnel.
- Scroll down to the bottom of that page where you will see a VPN client configuration area. Click Setup.
- You will now need to enter the configuration settings of our server to the Config area.
- To do that, find the server configuration file you downloaded from our website in the second step. Open it as a text file using Notepad and copy the whole text.
- Go back to the VPN configuration page on your router and paste the copied text to the Config area.
- Now enter the Surfshark service credentials that you collected in the first step. Check Enable and click Apply.
- If everything is correct, you will see a message in green that it's connected.
Congratulations - you have successfully set up your Netduma R1 router with the OpenVPN protocol!
You may also be interested in:
- How to make sure if my connection was successful?
- How to enable 2FA on your Surfshark account?
- How to set up a VPN-protected Wi-Fi hotspot using Windows?