This article will show you how to set up your Netduma R1 router with the OpenVPN protocol. This way, you will be able to protect all devices connected to the router in one go.
You will learn how to:
To proceed, you will need a Netduma R1 router and an active Surfshark subscription.
If you don't have the subscription yet, you can get it here.
Find your login details
You'll need Surfshark service credentials to connect to the VPN using a manual OpenVPN configuration. Note that the Surfshark service credentials are different from your Surfshark account credentials, namely your email address and password.
Here is how to find your Surfshark service credentials:
- Go to this page. You will find all of the details required for a manual connection there.
- You may need to log in before proceeding to this page. In that case, enter your email address and your password, then click Log in.
- Click on the Credentials tab on top. You will find the Surfshark service credentials there.
It is a good idea to keep this page open for now. You will need these credentials a bit later.
Choose a Surfshark server
Every server (location) has a configuration file that you will need to connect to the VPN. You can download all configuration files from our website.
- Go to this page. It's the same page where the Surfshark service credentials are stored.
- Make sure you selected the Files tab where you will see all of the Surfshark servers.
- You will need an OpenVPN configuration file for your location of choice. If you wish to connect to Germany, download the Germany - Berlin or Germany - Nuernberg server by clicking on the location and then on UDP to download the configuration file.
Configure the OpenVPN client
Before connecting to the VPN, you will need to configure the OpenVPN client on your router.
- Log in to your Netduma R1 router by entering your router IP address into the URL bar on your browser.
- Go to the VPN tab. You will see all devices connected to this router; choose which ones you wish to route via a VPN tunnel.
- Scroll down to the bottom of that page where you will see a VPN client configuration area. Click Setup.
- You will now need to enter the configuration settings of our server to the Config area.
- To do that, find the server configuration file you downloaded from our website in the second step. Open it as a text file using Notepad and copy the whole text.
- Go back to the VPN configuration page on your router and paste the copied text to the Config area.
- Now enter the Surfshark service credentials that you collected in the first step. Check Enable and click Apply.
- If everything is correct, you will see a message in green that it's connected.
Congratulations - you have successfully set up your Netduma R1 router with the OpenVPN protocol!
If you have any further questions, our customer success team is here to help you 24/7 over live chat or email.
You may also be interested in:
- How to make sure if my connection was successful?
- How to enable 2FA on your Surfshark account?
- How to set up a VPN-protected Wi-Fi hotspot using Windows?