Connecting via Network manager on Ubuntu is a pretty convenient way to connect to our servers without using the terminal.
Follow the tutorial above in order to use Network Manager for the VPN connection.
- At first, you will need to get Surfhark service credentials. Those are the credentials, different from the ones that you use to log in to our website or the app. To find them, go to the login page of our website, here https://account.surfshark.com/ and log in.
Once you log in, go to Devices -> Manual, scroll down to the bottom of the page. You will find your service credentials there.
- On the same page where credentials are, you will find configuration files of all our servers. You will need a configuration file to connect to our server. Choose your preferred location and download the file (UDP protocol, unless you prefer TCP).
Save this file on your Desktop - that's not necessary, but it will be easier to find it later.
- Now launch the terminal. You can do that by pressing CTRL+ALT+T on your keyboard.
Alternatively, you can open it by going to the menu of all apps and launching the terminal from there.
- Now you will need to install the VPN manager if it is not yet installed on your device.
To do that, copy this command:
sudo apt-get install network-manager-openvpn-gnome
And paste it to the terminal.
You will be asked to enter the password of your PC.
If the Network manager was installed on your system by default, you will be notified, that the Network Manager is already installed. You can skip this step and proceed further.
If it was not installed by default, follow terminal instructions to install it.
- Now click the white arrow or the Wi-Fi/Ethernet icon at the top-right corner of your desktop. It will open a system tray.
- Click the settings button
- The settings page will open. Open the Network settings tab.
- Click [+] to add a new VPN profile.
- You will get a window asking how you would like to add a new profile. Choose Import from file, then navigate to the configuration file on your desktop (the one you have downloaded in step 2) and choose to import it.
- Once the file is imported, you will need to enter your credentials to this profile in order to finish it.
Enter Surfshark service credentials that you have collected in the 1st step.
Then click Add to finish this profile.
- Now you will see a new VPN profile added. To turn it on, simply move the switch from OFF to ON.
Great, you have connected to the Surfshark server!
To quickly check if the VPN is turned on, you can open the system tray as you did in the 5th step and you will see the VPN profile there.
If something is not going according to the tutorial, feel free to contact our Customer Success Sharks and they will help you out!