Ubuntu Network Manager can help you connect to Surfshark VPN servers without using the Surfshark application, and it's pretty convenient to set up and use.
You will learn how to:
To proceed, you need to have a Linux Ubuntu device and an active Surfshark subscription.
If you don’t have a subscription yet, you can get one here.
Find your login details
You’ll need Surfshark service credentials to connect to the VPN using the manual OpenVPN configuration method explained below.
Here is how to get your Surfshark service credentials:
- Go to this page, where you will find all the details required for a manual connection.
You may need to log in before proceeding to this page. In that case, enter your email address and your password, then click Log in.
- Click on the Credentials tab on top. You will find the Surfshark service credentials there.
It is a good idea to keep this page open for now. You will need these credentials a bit later.
Choose a Surfshark server
- Go to this page. It’s the same page where the Surfshark service credentials are stored.
- Make sure you selected the Files tab. There, you will see all of the Surfshark servers.
- You will need an OpenVPN configuration file for the location of your choice. If you wish to connect to Germany, download the files for Germany - Berlin or Germany - Nuernberg servers by clicking on the location and then on UDP to download the configuration file.
- We recommend saving the file on your desktop so that you could easily find it during the setup process.
Configure the Network Manager
- Launch the terminal. You can do that by pressing CTRL+ALT+T on your keyboard.
Alternatively, you can launch the terminal from the list of your apps.
- Now you will need to install the VPN manager if it's not on your device yet.
To do that, use this command:
sudo apt-get install network-manager-openvpn-gnome
Please copy and paste this command to the terminal and hit enter.
This might create a prompt asking for your PC password. Enter your password and authorize to continue.
If the Network Manager is on your system, you will be notified that the Network Manager is already there. In that case, go to step 3.
If the Network manager is not on your system, proceed with the installation process.
- Now click the white arrow or the Wi-Fi/Ethernet icon at the top-right corner of your desktop. It will open a system tray.
- Click Settings.
- Open the Network settings tab in the Settings screen.
- Click [+] to add a new VPN profile.
- A window will pop up asking how you would like to add a new profile. Choose Import from file, then navigate to the configuration file on your desktop from the Choose a Surfshark server step and select to import it.
- Once the file finishes uploading, you will need to enter your credentials to this profile to finish.
Enter the Username and Password from the Find your login info step.
Then click Add.
- Now you will see a new VPN profile. Move the switch from OFF to ON to enable a VPN connection.
To quickly check if the VPN is on, you can open the system tray as you did in the 3rd step, and you should see the VPN profile there.
Congratulations - you have successfully set up your Ubuntu device with Surfshark!
You may also be interested in: