In this tutorial, you will learn how to configure the Surfshark VPN tunnel on your Freebox router.
You will learn how to:
- Find your login details
- Choose a Surfshark server
- Configure Surfshark VPN
- Make sure your connection was successful
To proceed, you need to have a Freebox router and an active Surfshark subscription.
If you don’t have a subscription yet, you can get one here.
Find your login details
You’ll need Surfshark service credentials to connect to the VPN using the manual OpenVPN configuration method explained below.
Here is how you can get your Surfshark service credentials:
- Go to this page, where you will find all of the details required for a manual connection.
You may need to log in before proceeding to this page. In that case, enter your email address and your password, then click Log in.
- Click on the Credentials tab at the top. You will find the Surfshark service credentials here.
It's a good idea to keep this page open for now. You will need these credentials a bit later.
Choose a Surfshark server
- Go to this page. It’s the same page where the Surfshark service credentials are stored.
- Select the Files tab, where you will see all of the Surfshark servers.
- You will need an OpenVPN configuration file for the location of your choice. For example, if you wish to connect to Germany, download Germany - Berlin or Germany - Nuernberg server by clicking on the location and then on UDP to download the configuration file.
Configure Surfshark VPN
- Open your preferred browser and open this page to access the interface of your router.
- Enter your Freebox password to log in.
- Once logged in, click on Paramètres de la Freebox.
- Go to the Mode avancé tab and open the Client VPN.
- Once there, open the Applications tab and make sure that the Gestionnaire de télèchargements line is checked. If it is, click OK, then Appliquer.
- Switch to the Configuration VPN tab next to Applications.
- Click on the Ajouter une connexion button to create a new VPN profile.
- A VPN configuration page will open. Here you will need to enter the credentials that you collected in the Find your login details part and the Surfshark server configuration file you downloaded in the Choose a Surfshark server part.
Description: Enter your preferred name that will help you to recognize this specific profile.
Type de serveur VPN: OpenVPN
Nom d’utilisateur: Surfshark service username
Mot de passe: Surfshark service password
Finally, click the Parcourir button.
- Navigate to the folder where you downloaded the Surfshark server configuration file. Choose for it to be added to this OpenVPN profile and Save the changes.
- You will see the OpenVPN profile you just created. It is ready for use but is not connected yet.
To connect using this profile, find it in the dropdown menu and click the Appliquer button.
- Once the connection is established, you will see a yellow star on the VPN profile's left side.
- To make sure that the your router is connected, go to État de la connexion VPN.
Make sure your connection was successful
It's always recommended to check whether your connection was successful after setting up a VPN for the first time. This can be easily done by doing an IP leak test and a DNS leak test which is available on our website. Click here to find out how to make sure your connection was successful.
Congratulations - you have successfully installed and configured Surfshark VPN on your Freebox router! As long as you’re connected, your location is private, and your sensitive data is secure.
You may also be interested in: