In this tutorial, you will learn how to configure the Surfshark VPN tunnel on your Freebox router.
To proceed, you need to have a Freebox router and an active Surfshark subscription, which you can purchase on our pricing page.
You will learn how to:
- Get your credentials
- Choose a Surfshark server
- Configure Surfshark VPN
- Ensure your connection was successful
Get your credentials
NOTE: These are not your regular credentials, such as your email and password.
Enter the Surfshark login page and log in. Then, click on VPN > Manual Setup > Router > OpenVPN to generate your credentials.
Once there, make sure that you are in the Credentials tab and click on Generate credentials.
NOTE: Keep this tab open as we'll need it later.
Choose a Surfshark server
Open the same page on another browser tab, go to the Locations tab, and locate the server that you wish to connect to.
- Click on the download icon to the right of the server name and click on Download UDP.
Configure Surfshark VPN
- Open your preferred browser and open the Freebox page to access the interface of your router.
- Enter your Freebox password to log in.
- Once logged in, click on Paramètres de la Freebox.
Go to the Mode avancé tab and open the Client VPN.
- Once there, open the Applications tab and make sure that the Gestionnaire de télèchargements line is checked. If it is, click OK, then Appliquer.
- Switch to the Configuration VPN tab next to Applications.
- Click on the Ajouter une connexion button to create a new VPN profile.
A VPN configuration page will open. Enter the Surfshark service credentials (refer to Get your credentials section of this article) and the Surfshark server configuration file (refer to Download configuration files section in this article).
Description: Enter your preferred name
Type de serveur VPN: OpenVPN
Nom d’utilisateur: Surfshark service username
Mot de passe: Surfshark service password
- Click the Parcourir button.
- Navigate to the folder where you downloaded the Surfshark server configuration file. Choose for it to be added to this OpenVPN profile and Save the changes.
You will see the OpenVPN profile you just created. To connect using this profile, find it in the dropdown menu and click the Appliquer button.
- Once the connection is established, you will see a yellow star on the VPN profile's left side.
- To make sure that your router is connected, go to État de la connexion VPN.
Ensure the connection is successful
We always recommend checking if Surfshark VPN is working after setting it up for the first time. You can easily do it by performing Surfshark IP leak test and a DNS leak test. For your convenience, both are available on our website.
You may also be interested in: