This article will show you how to set up your Synology 6.2 NAS with the OpenVPN protocol.
Using this setup method, you can set up the Synology 6.2 NAS with a VPN connection to cover all devices connected to it.
You will learn how to:
To proceed, you need to have a Synology 6.2 NAS and an active Surfshark subscription.
If you don’t have the subscription yet, you can get one here.
Find your login details
Surfshark service credentials are different from your Surfshark account credentials, namely your email address and your password. You’ll need the Surfshark service credentials to connect to the VPN using the manual OpenVPN configuration method explained below.
Here is how to get your Surfshark service credentials:
- Go to this page, where you will find all the details required for a manual connection.
You may need to log in before proceeding to this page. In that case, enter your email address and your password, then click Log in.
- Click on the Credentials tab at the top. You will find Surfshark service credentials there.
It is a good idea to keep this page open for now. You will need these credentials a bit later.
Choose a Surfshark server
Every server (location) has a configuration file that you need to connect to the VPN. You can download all of the configuration files from our website.
- Go to this page. It’s the same page where the Surfshark service credentials are stored.
- Select the Files tab. You will see all of the Surfshark servers.
- You will need an OpenVPN configuration file for the location of your choice. For example, if you wish to connect to Germany, download the Germany - Berlin or Germany - Nuernberg servers by clicking on the location and then on UDP to download the configuration file.
Configure the OpenVPN client
- First of all, login to your Synology NAS and select Control Panel.
- Select Network.
- Navigate to Network interface -> Create -> Create VPN Profile.
- Select OpenVPN (via importing a .ovpn file), and press Next.
- Fill in the fields as shown below and select Next.
Profile name: Surfshark (you can name it as you prefer).
Username: Surfshark service username from the Find your login details step.
Password: Surfshark service password from the Find your login details step.
Import .ovpn file: here, you will have to import a configuration file from the Choose a Surfshark server step.
CA certificate: leave empty.
- Check all available options and select Apply.
- Select the created profile and press Connect.
- After a successful connection, the status of the profile will change to Connected.
Congratulations - you have successfully set up your Synology NAS with the OpenVPN protocol!
If you have any further questions, our customer success team is here to help you 24/7 over live chat or email.
You may also be interested in: