In this tutorial, you will learn how to set up the Tunnelblick app on your macOS device. This method is a proven way to easily connect to the VPN from countries with internet restrictions like China, UAE, Russia, etc.
You will need a device running macOS operating system and an active Surfshark subscription. If you don’t have the subscription yet, you can get it here.
You will learn how to:
- Get your credentials
- Download configuration files
- Download the app
- Install the app
- Connect to the VPN
Get your credentials
You will need Surfshark service credentials to connect to the VPN using a manual OpenVPN connection. Do not confuse these with your regular credentials - your email address and your password.
Here is how you can get your Surfshark credentials:
- Go to this page. This is the page where all the details required for manual connection are stored.
If you can not open that page, try this one instead.
You may need to log in before proceeding to this page. In that case, enter your email address and your password, then click Log in.
- Switch to the Credentials tab. You will find Surfshark service credentials there. It is a good idea to keep this page open for now. You will need these credentials a bit later.
Download configuration files
Every server has a configuration file that you will need to use to connect to the VPN server.
Download one of the Surfshark OpenVPN configuration files from links below that are highlighted in blue:
Download the App
- Firstly, click here to download the official Tunnelblick app.
- Locate the downloaded installation package in the Downloads or Recents folder on your Mac.
Install the app
- To start the installation process, double-click on the Tunnelblick installation package located in your Downloads or Recents folder.
- Double-click the Tunnelblick icon in the next window.
- Confirm the action by pressing Open.
- Set your preferences for the Tunnelblick app and click Continue.
You can leave the default entries.
- Click I have configuration files. You have downloaded them in the second part of this guide.
- Click OK.
- Now open the Downloads folder of your Mac and locate previously downloaded Surfshark configuration files.
- Open the Tunnelblick app by clicking on the Tunnelblick icon in the menu bar.
- You will now need to install the configuration file. Click on the configuration file in your Downloads folder and drag it to the Configurations area in the Tunnelblick app.
You can also install configuration files without opening the Tunnelblick app, but by dragging them to the Tunnelblick icon in the menu bar.
- You will see this pop-up, select Only Me.
- You may need to enter your admin credentials to perform this action.
Enter the password of your Mac admin account and press OK.
- Installed configuration files will appear in the Configurations section of the Tunnelblick app.
Connect to the VPN
- To connect to your preferred VPN location, click on the configuration file of a specific location. Then press Connect.
- Enter Surfshark service credentials and click OK.
Those are service credentials that you have collected in the Get your credentials part of this tutorial. Do not confuse these with your regular Surfshark credentials, namely your email address and a password.
- You will see a pop-up window showing connection status in the top-right corner of your screen.
It will stay yellow while connecting.
Then it will turn green after a successful connection.
- To disconnect from the VPN, click the Disconnect button.
- To connect to a different location repeat these steps:
1. Download configuration files of your preferred location
2. Install new configuration files and connect to the VPN
Congratulations - you have successfully installed and configured the OpenVPN connection on your macOS! As long as you’re connected, your location is private, and your sensitive data is secure.
If you have any further questions, our customer success team is here to help you 24/7 over a live chat or email.
You may also be interested in
- How to make sure if my connection was successful?
- How to enable 2FA on your Surfshark account?
- What speed can I expect with your VPN? Are there any bandwidth limitations?