You can set up an OpenVPN connection on your Mac device by using Tunnelblick.
Tunnelblick is a free open-source program that helps you connect to Surfshark servers using OpenVPN. This application is supported by macOS 10.4+.
Please note that we recommend downloading our apps to ensure the best performance & security, as well as the easiest setup. You can instantly surf the digital waters safely with our app for macOS!
This guide will help you to set up a secure OpenVPN connection via Tunnelblick.
1. First of all, download Tunnelblick from their website here.
2. Afterward, download our OpenVPN configuration files which you can get from this page. You will need to log in and scroll down a bit to see all of the available configuration files. You can either download the configuration files for a single location by hovering over the selected country or download all of our server configurations.
3. To install the Tunnelblick client, navigate to your Downloads folder and open the Tunnelblick installation file that you have downloaded.
4. Double-click the Tunnelblick icon in the opened window to continue.
5. After that, a window will appear asking if you want to continue. Click Open.
6. Press Install and continue with the installation process. After it is complete, open the OpenVPN configuration files folder and select the configuration files that you want to add. Double-click on them and a prompt will appear if you want to install the configuration files for all users. Check the Apply to all and select Only Me.
7. Click the Tunneblick icon in the top right corner of your screen and select a server to connect to.
8. You will be asked to enter your service credentials which you can find here at the bottom of the page.
Enter your username and password from your profile (check the Save in Keychain if you want your credentials to be remembered) and click OK.
Note: service credentials are different from the ones you regularly use to log in to Surfshark account page or Surfshark applications. If you are getting an authentication error, most likely you are not using the correct pair of credentials!
9. You will now be connected to Surfshark. To disconnect, press the Tunnelblick icon again and select Disconnect from server.
Feel free to contact our Customer Success Sharks if you encounter any issues with the setup!