This article will show you how to set up your QNAP with the OpenVPN protocol.
You will learn how to:
To proceed, you need to have a QNAP and an active Surfshark subscription.
If you don’t have a subscription yet, you can get one here.
Find your login details
You’ll need the Surfshark service credentials to connect to the VPN using the manual OpenVPN configuration method explained below.
Here is how you can get your Surfshark service credentials:
- Go to this page, where you will find all the details required for a manual connection.
You may need to log in before proceeding to this page. In that case, enter your email address and your password, then click Log in.
- Click on the Credentials tab at the top. You will find the Surfshark service credentials there.
It is a good idea to keep this page open for now. You will need these credentials a bit later.
Choose a Surfshark server
- Go to this page. It’s the same page where the Surfshark service credentials are stored.
- Make sure you selected the Files tab. You will then see all of the Surfshark servers.
- You will need an OpenVPN configuration file for the location of your choice. For example, if you wish to connect to Germany, download the Germany - Berlin or Germany - Nuernberg server files by clicking on the location and then on UDP to download the configuration file.
Configure the OpenVPN client
- Access your QNAP and go to QVPN Service -> VPN Client -> Add -> OpenVPN.
- Import one of the configuration files which you downloaded on the Choose a Surfshark server step. Enter your Surfshark Service username and password in the Username and Password fields from the Find your login details step. Once you complete the configuration, click Apply.
- Now click Connect to establish a connection to the imported VPN server!
Congratulations - you have successfully set up your QNAP with an OpenVPN protocol!
You may also be interested in: