This article will show you how to set up your QNAP with the OpenVPN protocol.
To proceed, you need to have a QNAP and an active Surfshark subscription. You can find the available plans on Surfshark’s pricing page.
You will learn how to:
- Get your credentials
- Choose a Surfshark server
- Configure the OpenVPN client
- Ensure that your connection is successful
Get your credentials
NOTE: These are not your regular credentials, such as your email and password.
Enter the Surfshark login page and log in. Then, click on VPN > Manual Setup > Router > OpenVPN to generate your credentials.
Once there, make sure that you are in the Credentials tab and click on Generate credentials.
NOTE: Keep this tab open as we'll need it later.
Choose a Surfshark server
Open the same page on another browser tab, go to the Locations tab, and locate the server that you wish to connect to.
- Click on the download icon to the right of the server name and click on Download UDP.
Configure the OpenVPN client
- Access your QNAP and go to QVPN Service > VPN Client > Add > OpenVPN.
- Import one of the configuration files that you downloaded (refer to Choose a Surfshark server section in this article)
- Enter your Surfshark service username and password in the Username and Password fields (refer to Get your credentials section in this article). Once you complete the configuration, click Apply.
- Now click Connect to establish a connection to the imported VPN server.
Ensure the connection is successful
We always recommend checking if Surfshark VPN is working after setting it up for the first time. You can easily do it by performing Surfshark IP leak test and a DNS leak test. For your convenience, both are available on our website.
You may also be interested in: