Whitelister™ is an innovative tool that allows you to control your connectivity by choosing what programs and websites to route via VPN and vice versa.
Whitelister™ has two options:
- Bypass VPN, which blocks selected applications and websites from using the VPN connection. These will run through your normal internet connection.
- Route via VPN is an alternative, allowing only the chosen applications and websites to connect to the internet using the VPN connection.
This tutorial will cover how to use Whitelister's Bypass VPN and Route via VPN options.
Here are the steps that we will go through:
You will need an Android device and a Surfshark subscription, which you can purchase here.
- Open the Surfshark application, and tap Settings on the bottom bar. If you don't have Surfshark on your Android, follow this guide to install it.
- In the Settings tab, click on Connectivity.
- Tap on Whitelister, which is under VPN features.
- Select which method you are going to use. This guide will go over the Bypass VPN option, which has an identical setup process to Route via VPN. To enable it, tap on the switch bar on the right of the method.
- To select applications that will bypass the VPN, tap on the 0 Apps selected bar.
- You will see a list of all supported applications on your device ready for use with Whitelister. Select the applications that you would like to bypass the VPN connection. You can do that by tapping the box on the right of the application.
- Surfshark will inform you that your application is ready for Whitelister. Now you can return to the previous Whitelister screen.
- You will see the appropriate number of applications displayed.
- Return to the main screen of Surfshark and connect to your preferred location. Surfshark will now make sure that your selected applications will not receive VPN encryption when you connect.
- To select websites that will bypass the VPN, tap on 0 websites selected, and in a new window, tap on Add Website.
- Type in the URL of the website and tap on Save.
- You will see the website appear on the list. You can return to the Whitelister menu now.
- You will see the appropriate number of websites displayed.
- Return to the main screen of Surfshark and connect to your preferred location. Surfshark will now make sure that your selected websites will not receive VPN encryption when you connect.
As for Route via VPN, the process is identical. Just enable Route via VPN instead of Bypass VPN and add your applications or websites to the list.
Congratulations - you have successfully set up Whitelister with Surfshark!
If you have any further questions, our customer success team will help you 24/7 over live chat or email.
You may also be interested in: