In this tutorial, you will learn how to install and use the Surfshark VPN extension for the Chrome browser.
You will need a Surfshark subscription, which you can find on Surfshark's pricing page, and a Chrome browser.
We will cover the following:
- Install the Surfshark extension
- Log in to the extension
- Connect to the VPN
- Manage Surfshark locations
- Manage Surfshark features and settings
- Ensure your connection is successful
Install the Surfshark extension
- Find the Surfshark extension at the Chrome web store, VPN Extension download page.
- Click Add to Chrome.
- A pop-up window will ask you to confirm the installation. Press Add extension.
- For easier use, we recommend pinning the Surfshark extension to your browser's toolbar. To do so, click on the extensions icon.
- Click the pin button.
- Once done, you'll see the Surfshark VPN Extension on your toolbar.
Log into the extension
- Click on the Surfshark icon at the top right of your browser. Press Log in.
- You will be redirected to Surfshark's webpage, where you'll have to enter your account's username and password.
- Press Log in, and you'll be able to use the extension.
Connect to the VPN
Right after logging in, you will see the VPN dashboard of the Surfshark browser extension.
- Clicking the Quick-connect button will connect you to the closest geographical location.
- As soon as you connect, the connection status will change to Connected.
You can disconnect by clicking the Disconnect button. Alternatively, you can also click on Pause to temporarily pause the VPN connection.
Manage Surfshark locations
- On the VPN tab, you can see all the available Locations.
- You can also click on the star icon next to a location to make it a favorite. Once you do so, it will appear at the top of the locations list under the Favourites section.
- Use the search bar at the top or scroll down the list until you find your preferred country.
- Click on the flag icon, and the extension will instantly connect to your chosen location.
Manage features and settings
Click on the cog icon for Settings.
In VPN settings, you can:
- Configure which country you connect to when you press Quick-connect
- Toggle the WebRTC feature, which prevents websites from using WebRTC to discover your IP and location
- Set the extension to connect upon the launch of the browser
In the My account tab, you can find your subscription details, change your password, or enter a login code for the extension.
In the App settings tab, you can change the extension's language and change the app's appearance – from light mode to dark mode.
In the Bypass list tab, you can configure which websites bypass the VPN connection. You can also configure which websites are affected by CleanWeb.
Lastly, there are the Get help and Earn Free Surfshark tabs. In the Get help tab, you can read Surfshark's ToS and contact our support team. In the latter, you can find out about our referral program.
Ensure the connection is successful
We always recommend checking if Surfshark VPN is working after setting it up for the first time. You can easily do it by performing Surfshark IP leak test and a DNS leak test. For your convenience, both are available on our website.
You may also be interested in: