In this article, you will learn how to set up a manual WireGuard connection on your DD-WRT firmware router.
You will need to have DD-WRT build of 43045 or higher for a successful setup.
Here are the steps we will go through:
- Get your key pair
- Choose a server
- Configure WireGuard
- Configure the interface
- Configure the VPN zone
Get your key pair
There are two routes we can take at this stage - either you have already generated a key pair and will use them for this setup, or you have never generated them in the first place. If you have a key pair, continue the tutorial as usual, and if you have not created a key pair, click here.
I have a key pair
- Go to this page, choose the Router option, and click on WireGuard.
- In the next window, click on I have a key pair.
- Enter your public key and hit Save.
I don't have a key pair
- Go to this page, choose the Router option and click on WireGuard.
- In the next window, click on I don't have a key pair.
Click on Generate a new key pair.
Note: once the key pairs are generated, copy them and store them on your device, as you will not be able to check them again.
Choose a server
In the end, even if you already did or didn't have a key pair, you will see a Choose a location button, click on it and you will see a full list of available locations to connect to. Select one and hit the download button.
- First of all, you will need to open the control panel of your router.
You can reach it by entering the IP address of your router into the URL bar in your browser. Most often, this IP address is used to reach the DD-WRT router: 192.168.1.1
- Once you log into the router panel, go to the Setup tab and select Tunnels. Lastly, click on Add Tunnel.
- Click on Enable next to the Tunnel setting, and select WireGuard as your protocol. Once selected, click Save.
Here you will need to fill in some information. First, paste the Private Key you got earlier.
DNS Servers via Tunnel: 220.127.116.11, 18.104.22.168
Firewall inbound: check
Kill Switch: check
Listen port: 51820
Click on Add Peer.
Endpoint Address: enter the address of the Surfshark server
Allowed IPs: 0.0.0.0/0
Persistent Keepalive: 30
Use Pre-shared Key: Disable
Peer Public Key: enter your public key
- Finally hit Apply Settings, and Save.
Congratulations! Now you know how to set up a manual connection on your DD-WRT router using the WireGuard protocol.
You may also be interested in: