In this tutorial, you will learn how to configure the Surfshark VPN tunnel on your Portal router.
You will learn how to:
- Find your login details
- Choose Surfshark server
- Configure the OpenVPN client
- Connect to the VPN
- Make sure your connection was successful
Find your login details
You’ll need Surfshark service credentials to connect to the VPN using the manual OpenVPN configuration method explained below.
Here is how you can get your Surfshark service credentials:
- Go to this page, where you will find all of the details required for a manual connection.
You may need to log in before proceeding to this page. In that case, enter your email address and your password, then click Log in.
- Click on the Credentials tab at the top. You will find the Surfshark service credentials.
It's a good idea to keep this page open for now. You will need these credentials a bit later.
Choose a Surfshark server
- Go to this page. It’s the same page where the Surfshark service credentials are stored.
- Select the Files tab. You will see all of the Surfshark servers.
- You will need an OpenVPN configuration file for the location of your choice. For example, if you wish to connect to Germany, download the Germany - Berlin or Germany - Nuernberg servers by clicking on the location and then on UDP to download the configuration file.
Configure the OpenVPN client
- Log in to your Portal router using the following IP: 192.168.1.1 or 192.168.8.1
If you can't log in, check your router's backside or the user's manual to find the default IP address and credentials. Usually, the username and password fields are both admin.
- Once you log in, click on the VPN tab on the left side menu of the screen.
- In the VPN section, select Add new OpenVPN client.
- You will need to enter the Surfshark credentials you collected at the Find your login details part of this guide and import the OpenVPN configuration file you downloaded at the Choose a Surfshark server part of this guide.
Name: Enter any name you would like to call this particular configuration. For example - if you are setting up a VPN connection for London, you can call it London.
Username: Enter your Surfshark credential username.
Password: Enter your Surfshark credential password.
- Lastly, click on the Import .ovpn File button, select the OpenVPN configuration file you have downloaded earlier, and click Apply.
Connect to the VPN
In order to connect to the VPN, you will only need to toggle the Connection button for the configuration you have created.
Make sure your connection was successful
It's always recommended to check whether your connection was successful after setting up a VPN for the first time. This can be easily done by doing an IP leak test and a DNS leak test available on our website. Click here to find out how to make sure your connection was successful.
Congratulations - you have successfully installed and configured Surfshark VPN on your Portal router!
You may also be interested in: