In this tutorial, you will learn how to install the Surfshark VPN client on your Manjaro device. This client is the only thing you will need to protect your data, bypass censorship, and enjoy streaming content on your machine.
You will need a computer running the Linux Manjaro operating system and an active Surfshark subscription. If you don’t have a subscription yet, you can get one here.
You will learn how to:
Find your login details
Surfshark service credentials are different from your Surfshark account credentials, namely your email address and your password. You’ll need the Surfshark service credentials to connect to the VPN using the manual OpenVPN configuration method explained below.
Here is how to get your Surfshark service credentials:
- Go to this page, where you will find all the details required for a manual connection.
You may need to log in before proceeding to this page. In that case, enter your email address and your password, then click Log in.
- Click on the Credentials tab at the top. You will find the Surfshark service credentials there.
It is a good idea to keep this page open for now. You will need these credentials a bit later.
Choose a Surfshark server
Every server (location) has a configuration file that you need to connect to the VPN. You can download all of the configuration files from our website.
- Go to this page. It’s the same page where the Surfshark service credentials are stored.
- Select the Locations tab. You will see all of the Surfshark servers here.
- You will need an OpenVPN configuration file for the location of your choice. For example, if you wish to connect to Germany, download the Germany - Berlin or Germany - Nuernberg servers by clicking on the location and then UDP to download the configuration file.
- Under the Locations tab, scroll to the very bottom of the page until you see CA&TLS certificates. Click on the Download button on the right side.
- In the new pop-up, click on Save File, and press OK.
- Once downloaded, extract the two files onto your desktop.
Install the Surfshark VPN
- Open the Terminal on your Manjaro device.
- Enter the following command to install the Network Manager for the OpenVPN Client:
pacman -Q networkmanager-openvpn
If the Network Manager is already on your device, you will see the following command:
networkmanager-openvpn 1.8.6-1 (the version number could be different depending on your system's version).
If the Network Manager is not installed, run the following two commands:
pacman -S networkmanager-openvpn
systemctl restart networkmanager
- Now click the Networks icon on the bottom right corner of your screen, then click on VPN Connections, and lastly, Add a VPN connection.
- In the new window, change the connection type to Import a saved VPN configuration and hit Create.
- Navigate to the location where you have downloaded the configuration file from the Choose a Surfshark server part of this guide, and hit on Open at the top-right corner.
- Select the authentication type as Password.
- Enter the Surfshark Service credentials (username and password) that you collected in the Find your login details part and click Save.
- Lastly, click the Network icon again, go to VPN connections, and you will see the Surfshark VPN configuration. To connect, press on it.
- You will then see a notification at the top-right corner of your desktop stating that your connection has been established successfully.
Congratulations - you have successfully set up Surfshark VPN on your Linux Manjaro device!
If you have any further questions, our customer success team is here to help you 24/7 over live chat or email.
You may also be interested in:
- How to make sure if my connection was successful
- How to enable 2FA on your Surfshark account
- Linux unstable connection troubleshooting