In this tutorial, you will learn how to set up smart DNS on your LG smart TV. It’s a handy method that allows you to use some of the VPN functions on devices where you couldn’t normally install a VPN. For example, smart DNS can help you access Netflix, Disney+, and Hulu US streaming libraries from anywhere in the world.
This guide will show you how to:
To follow along, you will need an LG smart TV, and an active Surfshark VPN subscription, which you can purchase here (smart DNS is included in the price).
Find your smart DNS
- Firstly, go to this page.
- You may need to log in to proceed to this page. In such case, enter your registered email address, then your password, and click Log In.
- There you will find your smart DNS addresses.
- If you do not see your smart DNS addresses there, most likely you have not activated it yet. Click the Get started button or follow this tutorial for detailed instructions on how to enable smart DNS on your account.
Set up smart DNS on your LG TV
Once you have found your smart DNS addresses on Surfshark.com, you need to apply it to your LG TV.
- To begin with, go to Network Settings of your TV.
- If your TV is connected to the internet via Wi-Fi, click on the Wi-Fi Connection tab.
If it is connected via Ethernet cable, choose Wired Connection (Ethernet) tab.
- Go to Advanced Wi-Fi (or Ethernet) Settings
- Click the red EDIT button.
You may notice that the IP address shown on your TV screen is different from the one that you have activated smart DNS for. That is because you have activated smart DNS for your external (public) IP address, but your TV only shows its internal (private) IP.
An internal IP usually looks like this - 192.168.x.x and is only used for internal communication between different devices on your network. It is not visible publicly and does not affect the usage of smart DNS, so you can ignore it and proceed with smart DNS setup.
- Uncheck Set Automatically.
- Enter the DNS address of one smart DNS server. You have received 2 smart DNS servers - it does not matter which one you enter here, they both work fine for US streaming services.
- Click Connect.
- Lastly, wait a few moments until your TV connects to the internet using smart DNS servers. That should only take a moment.
Congratulations - you have successfully configured smart DNS on your LG TV! You can now enjoy the streaming content of the US region on various streaming platforms.
If you have any further questions, our customer success team is here to help you 24/7 over a live chat or email.
You may also be interested in: