In this article, you will learn what Windows System Tray is and how to use it.
You will need a Windows device and an active Surfshark subscription, which you can purchase on our pricing page.
You will learn the following:
What is a Windows System Tray?
Windows System Tray is the small box at the end of your desktop toolbar where various applications and processes appear so you can access them faster.
You can open the System Tray by clicking the white arrow at the end of the toolbar. You will likely find Wi-Fi, antivirus, and some other icons in there.
How to use Surfshark’s System Tray app
- At first, for the Surfshark app to appear on the System Tray, you will need to open the Surfshark app. Once Surfshark is running, you can close the main app window. A gray Surfshark icon will show up in the System Tray.
- For your convenience, you can click and drag it to the toolbar. This way, it will be accessible even quicker.
If you right-click once on this icon, the minimized Surfshark app will show up. By default, you will only see the button to Quick-connect. However, below, you will find an option to personalize your minimized app. Click on Add shortcut.
- Now, you will see a list of features you can import into the Tray app. Tick the box on the left of the ones you wish to import and click Save.
- Your chosen features (in our case, these are Kill Switch, Auto-connect, and CleanWeb) will now appear on the minimized app.
- When you connect to one of Surfshark’s servers, the Surfshark icon will turn blue, indicating that you have successfully connected.
You will also be able to see the server you are connected to, your VPN IP address and the total time you've been connected to the VPN.
If you click the underscore, the app will return to the system tray.
If you click the square, you will open the full-size Surfshark app.
Lastly, clicking the X, will close the tray menu.
You may also be interested in: