In this tutorial, you will learn how to configure the Surfshark VPN tunnel on your Asus Merlin router. This method might be beneficial if you have devices that don't have VPN compatibility or you want to protect all the Wi-Fi-connected devices at your home in one go.
You will learn how to:
To proceed, you need to have a router running Asus Merlin firmware and an active Surfshark subscription.
If you don’t have the subscription yet, you can get one here.
Find your login details
Surfshark service credentials are different from your Surfshark account credentials, namely your email address and your password. You’ll need Surfshark service credentials to connect to the VPN using the manual OpenVPN configuration method explained below.
Here is how you can get your Surfshark service credentials:
- Go to this page, where you will find all of the details required for a manual connection.
You may need to log in before proceeding to this page. In that case, enter your email address and your password, then click Log in.
- Click on the Credentials tab at the top. You will find the Surfshark service credentials.
It's a good idea to keep this page open for now. You will need these credentials a bit later.
Choose a Surfshark server
Every server (location) has a configuration file that you need to connect to the VPN. You can download all of the configuration files from our website.
- Go to this page. It’s the same page where the Surfshark service credentials are stored.
- Select the Files tab. You will see all of the Surfshark servers.
- You will need an OpenVPN configuration file for the location of your choice. For example, if you wish to connect to Germany, download the Germany - Berlin or Germany - Nuernberg servers by clicking on the location and then on UDP to download the configuration file.
Configure the OpenVPN client
- Log in to your Asus Merlin router using the following IP: 192.168.1.1
If you can't log in, check your router's backside or the user's manual to find the default IP address and credentials. Usually, the username and password fields are both admin.
- Go to Advanced Settings -> VPN
- Go to the VPN Client tab (or OpenVPN Clients in different Merlin versions). Click the OpenVPN button on the right side of the page.
- Click Choose File.
- Navigate to the Downloads folder on your PC, choose the file you downloaded in Choose a Surfshark server step, and click Open.
- Click the Upload button to insert the configuration file.
- Set all settings as in the screenshot below, and then click Apply. For the Username and Password fields, use credentials from the Find your login details step.
- Turn the Service state switch from OFF to ON.
Congratulations - you have successfully installed and configured Surfshark VPN on your Asus Merlin router! As long as you’re connected, your location is private, and your sensitive data is secure.
If you have any further questions, our customer success team is here to help you 24/7 over live chat or email.
You may also be interested in: