In this tutorial, you will learn how to configure the Surfshark VPN tunnel on your GL. iNet router with 3.x firmware.
You will learn how to:
- Find your login details
- Choose a Surfshark server
- Configure the VPN
- Make sure your connection was successful
To proceed, you need to have a GL. iNet router running 3.x firmware and an active Surfshark subscription.
If you don’t have a subscription yet, you can get one here.
Find your login details
You’ll need Surfshark service credentials to connect to the VPN using the manual OpenVPN configuration method explained below.
Here is how you can get your Surfshark service credentials:
- Go to this page, where you will find all of the details required for a manual connection.
You may need to log in before proceeding to this page. In that case, enter your email address and your password, then click Log in.
- Click on the Credentials tab at the top. You will find the Surfshark service credentials here.
It's a good idea to keep this page open for now. You will need these credentials a bit later.
Choose a Surfshark server
- Go to this page. It’s the same page where the Surfshark service credentials are stored.
- Select the Files tab, where you will see all of the Surfshark servers.
- You will need an OpenVPN configuration file for the location of your choice. For example, if you wish to connect to Germany, download the Germany - Berlin or Germany - Nuernberg server by clicking on the location and then on UDP to download the configuration file.
Configure the VPN
- Log in to your GL. iNet router by entering the following IP: 192.168.1.1
Keep in mind that the gateway IP might be different for your particular router. Check the backside of your router to find the default gateway of your router.
- Once you have accessed the router, go to the VPN tab -> OpenVPN Client -> Add a New OpenVPN Configuration.
- In the new window, import the file you downloaded in the Choose a Surfshark server step.
- A new window will open, confirming that the file was uploaded successfully. You will be asked to enter your Surfshark credentials, which you collected in the Find your login details part of this guide.
Enter the following information as shown below:
Description: enter the profile name of your choice
Username: enter the username that you previously collected
Password: enter the password that you previously collected
- A new VPN profile will be created in the OpenVPN section.
If you have more than a single VPN profile, click the arrow to open the drop-down menu and choose the profile you just created. In our case, it's Aus.Melbourne.
Then click Connect.
- In case you wish to disconnect from the VPN, navigate to OpenVPN client and click the Disconnect button.
Make sure your connection was successful
It's always recommended to check whether your connection was successful after setting up a VPN for the first time. This can be easily done by doing an IP leak test and a DNS leak test which is available on our website. Click here to find out how to make sure your connection was successful.
Congratulations - you have successfully installed and configured Surfshark VPN on your GL. iNet router! As long as you’re connected, your location is private, and your sensitive data is secure.
You may also be interested in: