In this tutorial, you will learn how to set up the OpenVPN app on your Android device. This app is an alternative way of connecting to Surfshark servers that will come in handy if you can't connect to the VPN due to network restrictions.
You will learn how to:
You will need a device running Android operating system and an active Surfshark subscription. If you don’t have the subscription yet, you can get it here.
Get your credentials
- Please visit surfshark.com and log in to your account. You can find the direct link here.
In case this link doesn't work, please try this page instead.
- Go to the VPN -> Manual setup -> Manual -> Credentials section and copy the Username and the Password.
Download configuration files
Every server has a configuration file that you will need to use to connect to the VPN server.
Download one of the Surfshark OpenVPN configuration files from highlighted blue links here:
Install the OpenVPN app
Tap here to download the OpenVPN application and open it right after.
Follow the installation procedure on-screen to install the application.
Set up the connection
- Open the OpenVPN app and you will see a screen as in the picture below.
- You need to upload the file, so switch to the FILE tab.
Remember the file you have downloaded during the "Download configuration files" part? You will need to upload it to this app now.
You should find the configuration file you've downloaded previously in your phone's Download folder, so click on it.
- You will see the list of files that are in this folder. Tap on Surfshark's configuration file and press Import.
- Fill in the required details.
Profile name: you can give it any name
Username: service username you have collected during the "Get your credentials" part.
Password: service password you have collected during the "Get your credentials" part.
- Once you add the new VPN profile, it must appear on your OpenVPN app's home screen.
To connect to the VPN, tap on the gray switch.
- When connecting the first time, you will see this request to set up a VPN connection. Without your permission, the OpenVPN app won't be able to make a VPN connection. Click OK.
- You may also get this pop-up informing about the certificate. The certificate already appears in the configuration file, so click CONTINUE.
- If the VPN connection is successful, you will see the connection status on your screen.
It shows that you're connected, also some details about the connection.
- To disconnect from the VPN, tap on the switch (which is green now).
To change the VPN location, repeat this part to download a new configuration file for your preferred location, then repeat this part to add a new profile.
Congratulations - you have successfully configured the OpenVPN VPN connection method! As long as you’re connected, your location is private and your sensitive data is secure.
If you have any further questions, our customer success team is here to help you 24/7 over a live chat or email.
You may also be interested in: