In this tutorial, you will learn how to set up the OpenVPN app on your Android device. This app is an alternative way of connecting to Surfshark servers that will come in handy if you can't connect to the VPN due to network restrictions.
You will learn how to:
You will need a device running an Android operating system and an active Surfshark subscription. If you don’t have a subscription yet, you can get one here.
Get your credentials
- Please visit surfshark.com and log in to your account. You can find the direct link here.
In case this link doesn't work, please try this page instead.
- Go to VPN -> Manual setup -> Manual -> Credentials and copy the Username and the Password.
Download configuration files
Every server has a configuration file that you will need to connect to the VPN server.
Download one of the Surfshark OpenVPN configuration files from the highlighted blue links here:
Install the OpenVPN app
Tap here to download the OpenVPN application and open it right after.
Follow the installation process on-screen to install the application.
Set up the connection
- Open the OpenVPN app and you will see a screen as in the picture below.
- You will now need to upload a configuration file, so switch to the FILE tab.
Remember the file that you downloaded during the "Download configuration files" part? You will need to upload it to the app now.
You should find the previously downloaded configuration file in your phone's Download folder, so click on it.
- You will see the list of files that are in this folder. Tap on Surfshark's configuration file and press Import.
- Fill in the required details.
Profile name: you can give it any name
Username: service username that you collected during the "Get your credentials" part.
Password: service password that you collected during the "Get your credentials" part.
- Once you add the new VPN profile, it will appear on your OpenVPN app's home screen.
To connect to the VPN, tap on the gray switch.
- If you are connecting for the first time, you will see the following request to set up a VPN connection. Click OK. Without your permission, the OpenVPN app won't be able to make a VPN connection.
- You may also get this pop-up informing you about the certificate. The certificate already appears in the configuration file, so click CONTINUE.
- If the VPN connection is successful, you will see the connection status on your screen.
It shows that you're connected, as well as some details about the connection.
- To disconnect from the VPN, tap on the switch (which is green now).
To change the VPN location, simply download another configuration file for a preferred location, and add it as a new profile.
Congratulations - you have successfully configured the OpenVPN VPN connection method! As long as you’re connected, your location is private and your sensitive data is secure.
If you have any further questions, our customer success team is here to help you 24/7 over a live chat or email.
You may also be interested in: