Let's take a look at how you can share the VPN connection from your Windows computer. It’s a handy method that provides VPN access via Ethernet cable to your SmartTV, gaming console, or any other device that doesn’t have native VPN support.
To follow along, you will need a Windows computer, an Ethernet cable, a Surfshark VPN app, and an active Surfshark VPN subscription, which you can purchase here.
Also, if you are connected to the internet via Ethernet cable, your computer must have 2 Ethernet ports so that you can plug in a second Ethernet cable.
This guide will show you how to:
- Navigate to TAP adapters settings
- Configure the VPN adapter
- Connect to the VPN
- Share the VPN connection
Navigate to TAP adapters settings
- Right-click the Wi-Fi or Wired connection icon on your Windows toolbar.
- If you are connected to the internet via Wi-Fi, go to the Wi-Fi tab.
If you are connected via Ethernet cable, choose Ethernet.
- In the next window, scroll down a little, and you will find a setting to Change adapter options. Click on it.
- A window with all network adapters installed on your device will show up.
In this picture, network adapter no.1 is Surfshark TAP. Usually, it's called Ethernet 2.
The second adapter is the Wi-Fi adapter that allows you to connect to a Wi-Fi network. If you are connected to the internet via an Ethernet cable, your second network adapter should be Ethernet instead of Wi-Fi.
Configure the VPN adapter
- Right-click the Surfshark network adapter and go to Properties.
- In the pop-up window, go to the Sharing section.
Check the first box (Allow other network users to...)
Then choose Ethernet from the drop-down menu.
Finally, click OK.
Connect to the VPN
Everything is in place by now. The last thing you need to do now is connect to the VPN. All previous network adapter configurations will remain there and you will be able to use them anytime without repeating the setup process.
- Launch your Surfshark app. Go to Settings -> Advanced -> Protocol and change the default protocol to OpenVPN (UDP).
- Connect to your preferred location.
Share the VPN connection
- Connect the Ethernet cable from your Windows PC to any other device you would like to provide with a VPN connection (your Smart TV, gaming console, etc.).
- If you would like to change the VPN location on the device connected to your computer, change the VPN location using the Surfshark app on your Windows computer.
Congratulations - you have successfully configured a shared VPN connection on your Windows device! You can now connect any device to this Windows computer and enjoy a secure internet connection.
If you have any further questions, our customer success team is here to help you 24/7 over live chat or email.
You may also be interested in:
- How to make sure if my connection was successful?
- How to enable 2FA on your Surfshark account?
- How to use Surfshark Search?