This guide will help you make an exception for Surfshark on the McAfee antivirus application.
Sometimes various antivirus software might be interfering with the VPN background processes and block the connection.
Making an exception for Surfshark will help to prevent possible conflicts and interruptions between these two applications.
You will need the McAfee antivirus application and an active Surfshark subscription to follow along. If you don't have an active subscription yet, you can get one here.
- Launch the McAfee app and click on the Settings button, a cogwheel in the top-right corner.
- In the Settings menu under PC Security, click Real-Time Scanning.
- Under the Learn more tab, click on Excluded files.
- Clicking this tab will extend the Excluded files window. Click on Add file.
- Now you will need to navigate to the Surfshark folder. Default installation is in This PC -> Windows (C:) -> Program Files (x86) -> Surfshark
The files you need to exclude are Surfshark.exe Surfshark.Service.exe, and SurfsharkDiagnostics.exe. Start with SurfsharkDiagnostics.exe by clicking on it and then click Open.
You will need to create an exclusion for each file separately.
- SurfsharkDiagnostics.exe will appear on the Excluded files list. Click Add file again.
- Repeat the same process for both Surfshark.exe and Surfshark.Service.exe as well.
- Once you see all three files under the Excluded files tab, you can close the Real-Time Scanning window.
- Now restart your device to complete the procedure.
Congratulations - you have successfully created an exception in the McAfee Antivirus application on your device!
If you have any further questions, our customer success team will help you 24/7 over live chat or email.
You may also be interested in: