This article will teach you more about the smart DNS feature and how it works.
Many devices such as Xbox, Playstation, Smart TVs do not support VPNs. That’s the reason why we have smart DNS. This feature will help you to unlock the geo-restricted US region content (US Netflix, Disney+, US Hulu, etc.)
Here are the main things you may want to know about the smart DNS:
- This feature works by changing the DNS addresses on your device from your local ones to Surfshark’s DNS servers based in the US. These DNS addresses will grant you access to the US-based streaming services.
- It does not change your IP address but changes your DNS addresses.
- It does not encrypt your data. Therefore, smart DNS is for streaming only and not for security purposes.
- Smart DNS does not unlock everything. There might be streaming services that will not work with smart DNS.
- At the moment, smart DNS will only unlock US-based streaming services. However, we have plans to add new smart DNS servers in other countries in the future.
- If the Surfshark VPN app works on your device, you do not need to use smart DNS. The Surfshark VPN app will offer you more functionality on any device.
It’s super easy to get started with smart DNS. Activate it for your account, put it on your TV or console, and enjoy your favorite shows. You can find tutorials on how to set up smart DNS on various devices here.
If you have any further questions, our customer success team will help you 24/7 over a live chat or email.
You may also be interested in: