Sideloading apps on your Firestick might be useful in some situations. Let's say you wish to install some app that is not available on the App store due to regional restrictions or simply need to install an older version of some app because you liked the interface better.
At first, you will need to allow installing apps from unknown sources.
- Go to the Firestick settings
- Navigate to the My Fire TV section
- Go to the Developer options
- Click the Apps from Unknown Sources section
- Click the Turn On button
Now we will need to install the downloader app on your FIrestick. This app is used to download files from websites without using a browser.
- The next step is to install the Downloader app. Go to the Firestick home screen, use your remote to navigate to the Search icon in the menu bar. Type in "Downloader"
- Suggestions for Downloader apps will show up. Choose the one as in the picture below. The installation will start.
- When the installation is complete, open the Downloader app
- When you open this app, you will find a line to enter a URL address. Here you will need to type in the web address of the file you want to download.
- If you search on Google, you can find the installation file for basically all apps that you can think of. For example, if you wish to sideload the Surfshark app, you can go to our website and copy the address of Surfshark .APK version. (.APK is an installation file for Android app)
- Type in the URL address of installation file and click Go
- Wait until the download is finished
- A window suggesting to install the downloaded file will pop-up. Click Install.
- Wait until the installation finishes.
Great, you have sideloaded the Surfshark app! That can be done the same way with any other Android app.
You will find this newly installed app if you go back to the Home screen go through the list of your apps until you wind See All. Open it.
At the end of this list, you will find the app you have just installed.
That's it, Surfshark (or your chosen app) is successfully installed from the external source!
If something is not going according to the guide, feel free to contact our Customer Success sharks and they will help you out!