Sideloading apps on your Firestick can be beneficial in certain situations. For example, when you wish to install an app that is not available on the Amazon Store due to regional restrictions or simply need to install an older version of some specific application.
This tutorial will explain all the steps you need to take to sideload an application onto your Firestick device successfully.
Here are the steps that we will go through:
You will need a Firestick device and an active Surfshark subscription to follow along. You can get a Surfshark subscription by clicking here.
- From the Fire TV or Fire TV Stick’s home screen, scroll to Settings.
- Next, please navigate to the right and select My Fire TV. It may be listed as Device or System on older models.
- Then, scroll down and select Developer options.
- Afterwards, select Apps from Unknown Sources to turn the option ON.
- Lastly, select Turn On on the popup message that appears.
Install the downloader
- The next step is to install the Downloader application. Go to the Firestick home screen and use your remote to navigate the Search icon in the menu bar.
Type in Downloader.
- Suggestions for Downloader apps will show up. Choose and install the one as in the screenshot below.
- When the installation is complete, click Open.
Download your application
- When you open this app, you will find a line to enter a URL address. Here you will need to type in the web address of the file you wish to download.
- Type in the URL address which leads directly to the download into the URL field. Then click Go.
This link is for the Surfshark application: https://downloads.surfshark.com/android/Surfshark.apk
- Wait until Firestick downloads the file.
- A suggestion to install the downloaded file will pop-up. Click Install.
- Wait until the installation finishes and go back to the Home screen. Then go through the list of your apps until you find the See All button, click on it.
- At the end of this list, you will find your application.
Congratulations! Now you know how to sideload applications on your Firestick!
If you have any further questions, our customer success team will help you 24/7 over a live chat or email.
You may also be interested in:
- How to watch Netflix with Surfshark?
- What protocols can I use with Surfshark?
- What is Shadowsocks protocol?